Sandy Brown Jazz
Cryptic clues to fifteen blues.
How did you get on? Don't forget to check your score.
The answers are below ....
Give yourself one extra point if you were able to identify the song title for these lyrics:
' Am I blue, am I blue
From: Am I Blue (Harry Akst, Grant Clarke)
Here are the answers
1. Has the great trumpet player been Canonised?
Answer: St Louis Blues
2. Cadfael is sad.
Answer: Blue Monk
3. Buckingham Palace gardens covered in forget-me-nots?
Answer: Royal Garden Blues
4. Azure, Cobalt, Cyan, Navy - they are .......,
Answer: All Blues
5. Skin shades after a boxing match?
Answer: Black And Blue.
[Click here for a video of Louis Armstrong and his All Stars playing Black and Blue in Berlin in 1965. Louis Armstrong (trumpet and vocals), Tyree Glenn (trombone), Eddie Shu (clarinet), Billy Kyle (piano), Arvell Shaw (bass), Danny Barcelona (drums).]
6. Waving goodbye to sadness.
Answer: Bye, Bye Blues.
7. Unhappy in Soho?
Answer: West End Blues.
8. One of the X-Men is feeling down.
Answer: Wolverine Blues.
9. Humph would have had a difficult time spending this one.
Answer: Bad Penny Blues
[Click here for a video of Humphrey Lyttelton and comedian Les Dawson introducing Humph playing Bad Penny Blues].
10. Blues of the Borneo nickname given to Jimi Hendrix or the winner of the 1895 Grand National.
Answer: Wild Man Blues
11. Was this room in the White House named by Rodgers and Hart?
Answer: Blue Room
[Click here to listen to Miles Davis's misleadingly simple-seeming and beautiful interpretation of Blue Room].
12. This sad cat is on a hot one.
Answer: Tin Roof Blues.
13. This Bix Beiderbecke recording was not a vocal, despite its title.
Answer: Singing The Blues.
[Just in case you never heard it, click here for Bix and Tram playing the historical version of Singin' The Blues].
14. Where Elvis's Graceland is located in his sad memory.
Answer: Memphis Blues.
15. Should we Call The Midwife for this?
Answer: Birth Of The Blues.
[Click here if you would like to subscribe to our mailing list and for us to send you an email each time the website is updated].
Back to What's New Page
Follow us on Facebook